Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The house!!!!

So we actually did it. Josh and I now own a house, free and clear :D 206 Marshall St., Jackson, MI 49202.

The bank made us wait until the very last minute to sign for the house. So Friday morning, we drove a hour through a snowstorm to sign some papers. We were in such a rush that we didn't even have time to pick up the keys :( We then hurried home to catch a ride to the airport to catch our flight to Taiwan.

Here's a repeat picture of the house. It's a one and a half story single family home with a one and a half car detached garage. There are two bedrooms upstairs and a small one downstairs (that we may turn into a library/study) and 1.5 baths. There's a large paved basement and an enclosed porch. I'm so excited to use the porch. And also super excited to have a yard! Josh is already making plan for a garden (which I'm not allowed to touch due to my black thumb :P) and I want to hang bird feeders :D


Here's a look at the inside. The living room, dining room, and kitchen are all continuous. The kitchen looks like it was recently redone, and just needs some scrubbing. There's no room for a dishwasher which makes me sad. Josh said he'd do the dishes so I'm going to hold him to that XD Buying appliances is going to be interesting.








We already have a long list of jobs that need to be done on the house. It needs to be scrubbed from top to bottom, the roof and chimney needs a bit of work, we need to put up a bit of drywall, work on some trims, repair the porches, and repaint (among other things). The funny thing about the house is that the previous owner seems to have done a whole lot of remodeling everywhere, but it just seems that they did it extremely poorly. A great example would be the insulation they put in UPSIDE-DOWN in the basement. So there are lots of issues like that to fix.

We going to take the rest of the week to recuperate from the trip and then we're going to start working on the house this weekend. I'm just excited because I get to go to Ikea and buy all the cool stuff I've always wanted :D

6 comments:

  1. So happy for you guys! Our house is full of creative and poor jobs from the previous owner. Lol
    But, we're having fun making it our own. You will too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I'm just hoping we'll be able to fix what we need in time to move in.

      Delete
  2. kinda ghetto, but I swear I was watching a reality tv show once where there was no hole for a dishwasher, so the homeowners had a dishwasher they could wheel in and out of the kitchen and all they had to do was hook up a hose to the machine and plug it in to a wall socket. Just in case Josh gets really tired of doing dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and congrats on the house!

      Delete
    2. Thanks :) and I'm sure Josh will be glad to hear that.

      Delete
  3. mmmmmmm GET IT GIRL! (and Josh)

    Can't wait to see my room! ((:

    ReplyDelete